Saturday, April 27, 2013 -- Marlinton, WV / Marlinton's Municipal Park
Great Greenbrier River Race ... Mini-Triathlon
- Print [ Entry Form ] (pdf) ... Mandatory Race Meeting, 10 AM on race day.
Come join the fun at this Triathlon event. Run, canoe, and bike for great prizes, and the chance to place in this historic Race.
In a beautiful setting along the Greenbrier River in Pocahontas County, this family-friendly, 17-mile mini-triathlon features a post-race gourmet picnic with live music, drawings, and great prizes!
Net proceeds from the race go to the Greenbrier River Trail Association, a private non-profit advocacy group dedicated to improvement and promotion of the Greenbrier River Trail and related facilities. Note that in the event of high water, the race will be changed to a Run/Bike/Run course.
17 Miles Total, Starts at 11:00 am (10:00 am Mandatory Race Meeting)
1. RUN 3 miles -- This route is out & back. Go to River Trail, turn left,
go North to turnaround, return. Transition to boat.
2. PADDLE 4 miles -- Go south from Marlinton bridge to takeout just beyond bridge near Buckeye. Transition via run/walk to bike at River Trail.
3. PEDAL 10 miles -- Go south 3 miles to turnaround, go north 7 miles to Marlinton, turn left to finish at starting point.
Approximately half the run course and 3 miles of the bike course are paved; the rest is fine gravel. The river course is mostly shallow with a few fast spots but no real rapids.
- Each boat may have no more than two individuals.
- Bike helmets and life jackets (boat) are required.
- Kevlar boats may be used ONLY by SOLO competitors.
- Participants are responsible for transportation of all race equipment.
- Participants MUST attend 10:30 am meeting for final instructions.
Marlinton Municipal Park
926 5th Avenue
Marlinton, WV 24954 . . . [ Google Map ]
Canoe/kayak and bike rentals are available at:
Appalachian Sport, Marlinton (304) 799-4050
Jack Horner's Corner, Seebert (304) 653-4515
About the Area, Trail
There are picnic and primitive camping areas along the entire length, as well as swimming holes, boat pull-outs and some of the finest scenery in the State. Overnight lodging and meals lie within short distances from the Trail. Bicycles and canoes can be rented in several locations.
For further information, visit the following websites:
Maps and other literature may be picked up at the Pocahontas County Convention and Visitors Bureau located at 708 Second Ave., Marlinton, across from the Town Fire Department.
|Start Date:||2013-04-27 Start Time: 11:00am|
|Event Name:||Great Greenbrier River Race ... Mini-Triathlon|
Marlinton, WV 24954|
Marlinton's Municipal Park
|Event Distance(s):||3mi 4mi 10mi|
Pocahontas County CVB|
|Comments:||family-friendly, live music, post-race picnic|