Share |

Sunday, November 5, 2000 -- Rockville, MD
Montgomery County Marathon in the Parks
Story and photos by Marty Lamp

[Details] [Coverage]
Results: [0-350] [351-702] [Male O/A] [Female O/A]
Pictures: [Set 1] [Set 2] [Set 3] [Set 4] [Set 5]
[Set 6] [Set 7] [Set 8] [Set 9] [Set 10] [Set 11]

Pushing to the finish
The first running of the Montgomery County Marathon in the Parks was a huge success by any standards, and this is no accident. Put on by the fine folks of the Montgomery County Road Runners Club, this race had all it's bases covered from beginning to end, and the results of much hard work on the part of the MCRRC were evident.

Attracting over 800 participants, this 26.2 mile point-to-point race started at the Shady Grove Metro Station - plenty of parking and a ride back to the start via the metro. That means a lot after a race like this.

The USATF certified course wound through the quiet roads of Derwood, before joining up with the paved Rock Creek Trail at Lake Needwood after the first 4 miles for a gentle descent. After close to 17 miles, runners again hit the paved roads for less than a mile before entering the Georgetown Branch Trail, a wide, hard-packed dirt trail.

This stuff is fun!
A mile-and-a-half later, it was time for a spirit booster as runners entered the spectator-packed streets of the Bethesda Triangle in downtown Bethesda. From here, runners passed by the finish line and entered the final phase of the course, the Capital Crescent Trail.

With just a 10K left to run, competitors enjoyed an out-and-back run on the totally paved Crescent City Trail that wound south through Bethesda and Cabin John, turning around just before the Maryland - DC border, and heading back to the Bethesda Triangle along the Crescent City Trail while passing fellow racers coming the other way.

The course dropped roughly 3 feet in the first 16 miles before climbing about 150 feet over the next 4 miles. The Crescent City Trail dropped about 100 feet on the way out, then finished with the same 100 feet of elevation change, but now it was climbing.

It's a personal effort
The first person to cross the finish line was Kensington, Maryland's Mark Hoon(2:34:47). Hoon was wearing a number 1 on his chest, and after jumping to the front relatively early on, he never looked back, maintaining a solid pace of 5:54 per mile for the entire race. Steve Hedgespeth(2:39:01), of College Park, Maryland finished second overall, while 53 year-old Reauben Beauchamp(2:44:53) dusted a lot youngsters on his way to finishing third overall.

The lady to beat this day was wearing a number 2 on her chest, but 30 year-old Hilary Cairns(3:00:21) of Washington, DC, was all alone out in front of the women. Cairns kept hold of a fast 6:53 pace per mile on her way to a 26th place finish overall. Coming across the line second was Deborah Leyh(3:07:14) of Oakton, Virginia, while Doris Windsand-Dausman(3:15:41) finished third. Leyh and Dausman finished 41st and 60th overall, respectively.

Afterwards, all racers were treated to some handy emergency blankets, plenty of refreshments, and even a free massage if you were lucky. Racers all seem to really appreciate the fluid stations set at every 2 miles, with seven medical stations along the way.

Hats off to the MCRRC for a great job with a fine race that is sure to grow in popularity and size in the future.