Share |

Saturday, May 7, 2005 -- Charleston, WV
Susan G. Komen West Virginia Race for the Cure Run & Walk (iPO Event Id#: 7008)
--- Story and photos by Julie Black with additional photos by Katy Black.
* Contact Julie for copies of high-resolution photos from this event.

Return to the [Survivor/Kids/Awards Page] [Details] [Coverage]

Pictures: [Set 1] [Set 2] [Set 3] [Set 4] [Set 5]
[Set 6] [Set 7] [Set 8] [Set 9] [Set 10] [Set 11] * Walk Photos start in Set 6

Coverage: [2001] [2002] [2003] [2004]

Photo by Julie Black
A sea of supporters, survivors
More than 1 million participants worldwide participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® every year. Over 3,000 supporters and survivors raced on a glorious morning in front of the capital building of West Virginia in Charleston. Thousands of walkers created a sea of color on the Charleston streets. Colorful shirts from team members could be seen for miles and miles. Read more about this event.

The West Virginia Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation was established in February of 2000. 75% of the monies raised from the West Virginia Race for the Cure® will stay in West Virginia with the other 25% going directly to Komen for research.

Photo by Julie Black
Isaya Okwiya kicks it in for 1st
Janet Proctor of Victor, WV finished as the first breast cancer survivor in the 5K Run with a time of 27:02. Deborah McHenry of St. Albans, WV was second, with Lois Greene, a Charleston resident, taking third. The top three survivor 5K Run finishers were honored with roses, prizes, and applause.

Isaya Okwiya, 34, is formerly from Kenya. This former 800 Meter specialist now resides in Charleston, West Virginia. Okwiya bettered his third place 2004 finish to first overall 2005 with a time of 16:57. Pounding the pavement for second, John Hull of Scott Depot, WV (17:22) as 15-year old Seth Easter of Nitro, WV rounded out the top spots with 17:40.

Photo by Julie Black
Being interviewed by channel 3
Finishing 11th overall and as the first woman runner to cross the line (19:29), Christina Rawson of Sissionville, WV also holds the course record for the Charleston Distance Run 5K. From Cross Lanes, WV, Ashton Clemens (20:10) snatched second, as Connie Young of Hurricane, WV cruised in for third with a time of 20:38.

Top Wheelchair competitor, William Riddle of Ripley, WV completed the 5K in 22:25. Thanks to all of the supporters, sponsors, participants, volunteers, fundraisers, teams, race crew, and everyone involved.

Raft for the Cure: Hosted by Class VI River Runners of Lansing, WV and sponsored by the West Virginia Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation; the Raft for the Cure is another way for patrons to offer their support in the fight against breast cancer. Join them on August 20, 2005 for this event. [Raft for the Cure]